about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

blog hop // modern folk embroidery book

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

I'm so happy to be a stop in the Modern Folk Embroidery blog hop! From the moment I saw this book, I was eager to take in all of the stitching, and very thankful to receive a digital copy for review. Folk-style artwork is so charming to me, but not always my thing. So making it a little more modern and doing it with embroidery? Perfect!

One of the things that appeals to me the most about this book is the projects create opportunities to use stitches that I don't use too often. Most of the patterns I design work best with back stitch, french knots, and a few other basics. Modern Folk Embroidery, however, uses all the stitches that you've wanted to try, but haven't quite found a good use for yet.

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

Truth be told, I didn't venture too far into new stitches for my first project, but I did find a new favorite. More on that soon. First, let's take a look inside...

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

The photos are beautiful. Everything feels modern and colorful, filled with the busy details often found in folk styling, but simple at the same time. And who can resist a gorgeous photo of scrumptious supplies?

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

And then there are the projects. Honestly, I want to make so many things in this book. The circle pillow above is one of my favorites, but there are very few that I would pass by. Which is what you want to see in a book, right?

One thing I do want to note is that the book cover says there are 30 projects, but it's really more like 15 plus variations. That shouldn't make you think that this has half the content, however, because there's still so much treasure coming.

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

I mentioned that Modern Folk Embroidery presents ways to use fun and unique stitches, and it also gives illustrated instructions and variations for those stitches. This is where it starts to get interesting, because the author, Nancy Nicholson, shows so many ways to change up the stitches you already know.

For all of the embroidery I've done through the years, I've never seen so many ways to customize running stitch, and that's just one example.

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review
Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

And then there's the ways that you can combine all those stitches. Throughout the book, there are illustrations of stitch designs. Sometimes they are connected with a specific project, but other times they are just there to introduce a section. And they are a priceless component of Modern Folk Embroidery. Use them as a guide for the projects in this book, or to get your creative juices flowing on other things.

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

There are plenty of photos of each project, usually with good detail shots, but the step-by-steps are shown with illustration, which I love. That said, they aren't a substitute for the written instructions.

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review
Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

This tote and the floral brooches were a few more of my favorite projects, but I went with a flower brooch to start.

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

I made the large round flower, but dropped the leaf. I also adapted the stitches slightly, and again, this is one of the great things about the projects. You can easily adjust the stitches and colors to suit your needs.

One thing I wasn't going to change was the use of the stitch around the edge: Eskimo Laced Running Stitch. It's new to me and I heart it so much!

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

The garland and ornaments use a similar construction method to the brooches, and I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that they use a basic craft supply in a super smart way. They are next on my list, and sure to show up around my house this Christmas.

Modern Folk Embroidery // Book Review

For a peek at a few more pages in Modern Folk Embroidery, take a look right here. You can also find it on Amazon to take a look inside and pre-order. Then be sure to visit the rest of the stops on the #ModernFolkEmbroidery Blog Hop!

Monday, October 17th - SewandSo
Wednesday, October 19th – Wild Olive (you're here!)
Thursday, October 20th – Kate & Rose
Friday, October 21st - Lilipopo
Monday, October 24th – Anna Scott Embroidery
Wednesday, October 26th – Carina Crafts

5 comments:

  1. This is great! I don't believe I've ever seen anything on Folk embroidery. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome--love these types of design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to your review, this book looks fun and challenging at the same time! I am checking it out after I post this comment. The way you described the book is priceless. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling over this book Mollie, added it to my Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:00 PM

    I have this book and I love it

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!